In a study conducted on the 1979 Harvard MBA programme, students were asked, “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” The results were:

3% had written goals
13% had unwritten goals
84% had no specific goals at all

Ten years later, the members of the class were interviewed again, and the findings were astonishing. The 13% of the class who had unwritten goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all. However, the 3% who had clear, written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97% put together. Truly incredible. * Taken from the book “What They Don’t Teach You in the Harvard Business School” by Mark McCormack.

Good intent is honourable, but there’s something far better about writing down what you’re believing for. This not only helps you articulate why the goal is important but it also keeps you accountable to pursuing it, helping you align your life so you live with true purpose. Interestingly, God is into goals too. For example, he told the Old Testament prophet Habakuk to ‘write down the vision‘ which He’d given him (Hab 2:2).

church loughboroughI have no hesitation in saying that God wants you to be successful in life, work, career & family. However, if you’re really serious about this, then here is one goal which wise people will write down and explain to themselves. Ready? BE FIRMLY PLANTED IN A GREAT CHURCH. The Bible promises that those who are ‘planted’ in God’s house will ‘flourish’ (Psalm 92:13). So wise people will write down WHY it is beneficial to be rooted in a great church, WHY it’s important to run with the right crowd who are encouraging & faith-filled and not negative and cynical, WHY God’s house should always be a priority even during busy seasons of life, WHY putting God first means you’ll never come second and WHY excuses always need to be avoided. Knowing WHY it’s important to be planted in God’s house is a life changing revelation which adds a quality to your life that is of the highest order. 

I challenge you to take some time and articulate this for yourself over the next few days. Then set some goals which will help you be committed to being firmly planted in church community (serving, giving, building). Getting the foundations of your life right provides a solid base from which you can flourish and live in the supernatural blessing of God’s favour. This really works…and it’s what makes all the difference.

CHECK OUT THE JUNCTION CHURCH LEICESTER HERE AND OUR CHURCH IN LOUGHBOROUGH HERE.

READ MORE BLOGS

church nottingham

IN PURSUIT OF THE MIRACULOUS 
by Roy Todd

Ten years ago, I wrote a book called ‘In Pursuit of the Miraculous’. I reckon I could write a follow […]

Read More
church nottingham

DRAWN BACK TO THE FATHER'S HEART 
by Roy Todd

We’re all prone to wandering from God. It’s not for no reason that Isaiah describes us as being ‘like sheep who […]

Read More
church in leicester

BEWARE OF THE SPIRIT OF FEAR 
by Roy Todd

Have you noticed that the fear industry is booming at the moment? These are good days for things like suspicion, cynicism and gloom. They […]

Read More